THE managing partners and CEOs of some of Australia's top law firms, including Clayton Utz, Mallesons and Corrs Chambers Westgarth, as well as a host of leading law firm partners, have been appointed to the body dedicated to advancing the Australian profession in international markets.
Attorney-General Robert McClelland today announced new appointments to the International Legal Services Advisory Council (ILSAC).
Among those appointed to the professional body is Stuart Clark, COO and managing partner international at Clayton Utz, John Denton, the CEO at Corrs Chambers Westgarth, Blake Dawson partner Dr Gordon Hughes, Allens Arthur Robinson partner Tim Lester, Freehills Partner Bronwyn Lincoln, Minter Ellison partner and chairman Russell Miller, Mallesons Stephen Jaques CEO Robert Milliner, and Blake Dawson chairman in Melbourne, Mary Padbury.
ILSAC provides advice to Government on advancing the Australian legal profession’s standing and performance in international markets.
McClelland said the newly appointed ILSAC members have been drawn from the senior ranks of Australia’s legal sector and legal education institutions.
“The appointees bring an impressive range of specialist expertise and experience that will continue to guide the growth in Australian legal services being used overseas,” McClelland said.
“Recent figures released by ILSAC revealed total exports of Australian legal and related services of $709 million for 2008 09. These are impressive figures, and there are opportunities for further growth in our immediate region and beyond”.
McClelland recently announced a study to identify key legal services markets that Australia should focus on. The study will be jointly undertaken by ILSAC and the Attorney General’s Department.
“With the targeted advice from the market study, I am looking forward to working with ILSAC and Australian law firms to encourage expansion into markets that will give this important sector the greatest benefits” McClelland said.
McClelland thanked the previous Council for their work and achievements over the last term.
ILSAC includes representatives from key government departments that have a role in ILSAC’s areas of interest. Members are appointed for a three-year term. They serve on a part-time basis and in an honorary capacity, providing their services without payment.
Joining ILSAC are:
1. Mr Tim Bugg, Director, Dobson, Mitchell & Allport Lawyers, Hobart
2. Mr Stuart Clark, Chief Operating Officer & Managing Partner International, Clayton Utz, Sydney
3. Mr John Denton, CEO, Corrs Chambers Westgarth, Melbourne
4. Mr Glenn Ferguson, Managing Partner, Ferguson Cannon, Maroochydore
5. Dr Gordon Hughes, Partner, Blake Dawson, Melbourne
6. Mr David Krasnostein, Head, Global Private Equity, MLC, Sydney
7. Mr Tim Lester, Partner, Allens Arthur Robinson, Perth
8. Ms Bronwyn Lincoln, Partner, Freehills, Melbourne
9. Ms Fiona McLeod SC, Barrister, Melbourne
10. Mr Russell Miller AM, Partner & Chairman, Minter Ellison, Canberra
11. Mr Robert Milliner, CEO, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, Sydney
12. Ms Mary Padbury, Chairman, Blake Dawson, Melbourne
13. Ms Kerry Ryan, Consultant, Norton Rose, Melbourne
14. Prof Duncan Bentley, Pro Vice-Chancellor, Curtin Business School, Curtin University of Technology, Perth
15. Prof Michael Coper, Dean of Law, Australian National University, Canberra
16. Prof Jill McKeough, Dean of Law, University of Technology, Sydney