find the latest legal job
Partners and Senior Specialist Lawyers
Category: Corporate and Commercial Law | Location: All Australia
· Earn 70% of billings and fixed referral incentives · Full practice flexibility & freedom
View details
Partners and Senior Specialist Lawyers
Category: Corporate and Commercial Law | Location: All Australia
· Earn 70% of billings and fixed referral incentives · Full practice flexibility & freedom
View details
Litigation Associate / Senior Associate
Category: Litigation and Dispute Resolution | Location: Sydney NSW 2000
· 4 years + PQE · Varied work
View details
Commercial Litigation Lawyer
Category: Litigation and Dispute Resolution | Location: Brisbane CBD & Inner Suburbs Brisbane QLD
· 3 - 7 years PAE with very strong technical skills · Technical and personal development
View details
Senior Lawyer
Category: Industrial Relations and Employment Law | Location: Haymarket NSW 2000
· Play an integral part in launching Employsure's law firm
View details
NAB demerges from UK banks

NAB demerges from UK banks

Diana Nicholson, KWM

Several firms have acted in NAB's demerger from the Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank operations and the subsequent IPO of new entity CYBG.

Firms: King & Wood Mallesons (NAB); Clifford Chance (NAB London & CYBG); Allen & Overy (CYBG board); Linklaters (underwriters)

Deal: NAB completed a demerger from the Clydesdale Banking Group (now known as CYBG) and then launched an IPO of the new entity

Value: $3.2 billion

Area: M&A

Key players: The KWM team included partners Diana Nicholson (pictured), Peter Stirling, Ian Paterson, Will Heath and Samantha Kinsey, and senior lawyers David Bryant, Agata Bober and Jack Hill.

Deal significance:

The demerger will see NAB separate from UK-based Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank operations, which will form a new entity to be known as CYBG plc.

NAB shareholders will own 75 per cent of the new entity, with the remaining 25 per cent divested under an institutional offer and the proceeds returning to NAB.

CYBG is listed both on the Australian Securities Exchange and the London Stock Exchange, and has a market capitalisation of approximately $3.2 billion.

The demerger and IPO of CYBG is a significant milestone for NAB that will enable it to pursue its “focused strategy in its core markets in Australia and New Zealand”, according to a statement from KWM.

“The complex transaction is key to NAB meeting one of its strategic objectives,” KWM partner Diana Nicholson said.

Like this story? Read more:

Book commemorates diamond milestone for WA law society

QLS condemns actions of disgraced lawyer as ‘stain on the profession’

NSW proposes big justice reforms to target risk of reoffending

NAB demerges from UK banks
lawyersweekly logo
Promoted content
Recommended by Spike Native Network
more from lawyers weekly
new role with SA judicial appointment, scales of justice
Jan 15 2018
Worker's comp expert takes on new role with SA judicial appointment
An Adelaide barrister has been appointed deputy president of the South Australian Employment Tribuna...
Scales of Justice, NSW Bar Association
Jan 16 2018
New case management approach won’t beat backlog: NSW Bar Association
The New South Wales Bar Association says a new case management approach will fail to make a signific...
Jan 12 2018
E-discovery predictions for 2018
Promoted by Law In Order The outlook for early adopters of e-discovery in legal looks bright in 2...
Allens managing partner Richard Spurio, image courtesy Allens' website
Jun 21 2017
Promo season at Allens
A group of lawyers at Allens have received promotions across its PNG and Australian offices. ...
May 11 2017
Partner exits for in-house role
A Victorian lawyer has left the partnership of a national firm to start a new gig with state governm...
Esteban Gomez
May 11 2017
National firm recruits ‘major asset’
A national law firm has announced it has appointed a new corporate partner who brings over 15 years'...
Nicole Rich
May 16 2017
Access to justice for young transgender Australians
Reform is looming for the process that young transgender Australians and their families must current...
Geoff Roberson
May 11 2017
The lighter side of the law: when law and comedy collide
On the face of it, there doesn’t seem to be much that is amusing about the law, writes Geoff Rober...
May 10 2017
Advocate’s immunity – without fear or without favour but not both
On 29 March 2017, the High Court handed down its decision in David Kendirjian v Eugene Lepore & ...