find the latest legal job
Corporate and Commercial Partner
Category: Corporate and Commercial Law | Location: Adelaide SA 5000
· Full time · Join a leading Adelaide commercial law firm
View details
In-house Legal Counsel & Commercial Lawyers
Category: Corporate and Commercial Law | Location: All Sydney NSW
· Providing lawyers with flexibility and control over when they work, how they work and who they work for.
View details
In-house Legal Counsel & Commercial Lawyers
Category: Corporate and Commercial Law | Location: All Melbourne VIC
· Providing lawyers with flexibility and control over when they work, how they work and who they work for.
View details
Legal Inhouse / Lawyer / Company Secretary
Category: Other | Location: Brisbane QLD 4000
· Fantastic Company · Potential to be Part Time / Flexible Work Pattern
View details
Part Time Risk & Compliance Officer
Category: Other | Location: Brisbane QLD 4000
· Brisbane City · Flexible Part Time Hours
View details
Joint venture brings cancer treatment to China

Joint venture brings cancer treatment to China

New centres for cancer treatment in China will be operated as part of a joint venture between Australian and Chinese healthcare groups.

Firms: King & Wood Mallesons (Icon Group); Global Law (Yibai Healthcare)

Deal: Icon Group has entered a joint venture agreement with Yibai Healthcare.

Value: Undisclosed

Area: M&A

Key players: The KWM team advising Icon Group was led by Australia-based partner Mark McNamara (pictured) with support from special counsel Alex Elser. Advising on all PRC aspects of the deal were Shanghai-based partners Martyn Huckerby and Mark Zhang, with assistance from senior associate Jiang Liang.

Deal significance: The operation of radiation oncology centres in China is made possible by a joint venture between Australia’s largest provider of medical oncology, Icon Group, and China’s Yibai Healthcare.

Yibai Healthcare raised approximately $500 million to establish the new cancer centres over two years. The Chinese company is part of the Shanghai-listed Guizhou Yibai Pharmaceutical company.

Icon Group clinicians own 45 per cent of the Australian medical oncology provider, with the remaining 55 per cent owned by Quadrant Private Equity.

Commenting on the deal, partner Mark McNamara said: “We are delighted to continue to support Icon as it extends its footprint in the health and care sector into China and the rest of Asia. Our cross-border team drew on expertise in both Australia and Shanghai to achieve this important JV for the Icon Group."

KWM’s cross-border teams also advised Icon on its recent acquisition of Singapore Oncology Centre.

KWM partner Mark McNamara  

Like this story? Read more:

QLS condemns actions of disgraced lawyer as ‘stain on the profession’

NSW proposes big justice reforms to target risk of reoffending

The legal budget breakdown 2017

Joint venture brings cancer treatment to China
lawyersweekly logo
Promoted content
Recommended by Spike Native Network
more from lawyers weekly
LCA welcomes religious freedom panel
06:04
LCA welcomes religious freedom panel
The Law Council of Australia says the establishment of a panel which will examine the human right to...
Law Society launched a new website, legal politics and lawmaking
06:00
Law Society launches project to engage young Aussies
The Law Society of NSW has launched a new website to engage young Australians in legal politics and ...
recognised for human rights work
06:00
LexisNexis executive recognised for human rights work
A LexisNexis executive has been announced as a finalist in a global awards program for women in busi...
APPOINTMENTS
Allens managing partner Richard Spurio, image courtesy Allens' website
Jun 21 2017
Promo season at Allens
A group of lawyers at Allens have received promotions across its PNG and Australian offices. ...
May 11 2017
Partner exits for in-house role
A Victorian lawyer has left the partnership of a national firm to start a new gig with state governm...
Esteban Gomez
May 11 2017
National firm recruits ‘major asset’
A national law firm has announced it has appointed a new corporate partner who brings over 15 years'...
opinion
Nicole Rich
May 16 2017
Access to justice for young transgender Australians
Reform is looming for the process that young transgender Australians and their families must current...
Geoff Roberson
May 11 2017
The lighter side of the law: when law and comedy collide
On the face of it, there doesn’t seem to be much that is amusing about the law, writes Geoff Rober...
Help
May 10 2017
Advocate’s immunity – without fear or without favour but not both
On 29 March 2017, the High Court handed down its decision in David Kendirjian v Eugene Lepore & ...