A Sydney family is suing Kentucky Fried Chicken, claiming their daughter became brain damaged as a result of salmonella poisoning after eating a "twister" chicken wrap in the city's west, AAP reports.
In his opening address to the NSW Supreme Court today, the family's barrister, Anthony Bartley SC, claimed the chicken "twister" was bought from the Villawood KFC in October 2005, when Monika Samaan was aged seven.
The now 11-year-old Monika, who was present in court in a wheelchair, is suing through her father.
Bartley said there was no doubt Monika developed salmonella poisoning from contaminated chicken.
"And there is little or no doubt that chicken was reported by all scientists, at the time of these unhappy events occurring, as being the source of that salmonella," he said.
KFC is accused of breaching its duty of care and the Trade Practices Act.
Justice Stephen Rothman is presiding over the case.
The trial is continuing.
Like this story? Read more: