Restaurants should explain how to eat the food they serve, particularly those tricky artichokes, according to an American doctor.
As reported by Above the Law, Arturo Carvajal, a doctor in Miami, learned the hard way that eating an artichoke can be a little risky, especially if you eat the whole thing including its tough, outer leaves.
In 2009, Carvajal says he ate at Houston's restaurant in Miami Beach where he ordered the grilled artichoke special. It was his first time eating an artichoke and so he proceeded to eat the entire thing.
After ingesting the whole artichoke, Carvajal says he experienced stomach pains and following an "exploratory laparotomy", he learned that the artichoke leaves were stuck inside his bowel.
Now, Carvajal is suing the restaurant for unspecified damages alleging negligence.
According to the Miami New Times, Caravajal's claim goes something like this: "The server 'failed to explain the proper method of consuming an artichoke', namely that the 'outside portion of the leaf should not be eaten; rather; only the inside portion of the leaf was safely digestible."
Caravajal has claimed that as a result of eating the entire artichoke, he has suffered "disability, disfigurement, mental anguish," and "loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life".
The vice-president and general counsel for the defendant, Hillstone Restaurant Group, commented on the lawsuit to Business Insurance: "What's next? Are we going to have to post warnings on our menu they shouldn't eat the bones in our barbeque ribs?"
Folklaw is fearfully waiting for the day when each meal arrives with eating instructions as well as a calorie guide and chart regarding how much weight will be gained with dessert.
Like this story? Read more: