The Australian Medical Association (NSW) Ltd represents the medico-political and industrial relations interests of medical practitioners in NSW. The Professional Services team is responsible for providing a variety of services to members, including practice management support and training, employment advice and resources, and workplace relations/IR assistance for members. After a recent period of restructure and renewal, we are now looking for a permanent team member to grow our capacity to support hospital-based doctors with their ER/IR needs.
This is a great opportunity to use your exceptional employment/IR skills to support the doctors who care for us and our communities, while also developing yourself professionally as an advisor, negotiator, collaborator and influencer in a unique member-focussed industrial/political organisation.
The work principally involves advising, representing and advocating for member doctors working in hospital settings (both individually and collectively), including:
- advising doctors about terms and conditions of hiring (generally as “Visiting Medical Officers”)
- representing doctors in pay, rostering, contracting and other similar disputes
- advising and representing doctors in performance reviews, investigations, disciplinary and similar processes
- negotiating with hospital administrators, Local Health Districts and the Ministry of Health
- assisting and participating in pro-active member education and training initiatives and
- collaborating with relevant stakeholders to develop organisational policy on workforce related issues.
This is the perfect job for someone who wants to apply their passion for workplace relations in a real-world environment that matters. For a people person, there will be plenty of opportunities to get out talk to members directly in their workplaces, and get to know the environment they operate in. We are particularly looking for someone who’s keen to learn quickly about the professional and IR issues faced by specialists and other hospital doctors; and who will use their initiative to support and grow with the team as we work together to develop and deliver services to this important cohort.
- industrial/workplace relations or employment law background with great advisory, advocacy and negotiation skills
- understanding of, and empathy for, the work-life aspirations of independent professionals
- great people skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders from varying backgrounds
- experience working or advising in the health industry or other similar setting
- commitment to working collaboratively in a team environment, including balancing your own priorities with a team’s broader strategic and development needs
- conversant with public sector employment/hiring legislation and regulations, in particular public sector Visiting Medical Officer determinations
- existing stakeholder networks within the NSW public sector health system and/or within associated stakeholder agencies (eg, AHPRA, SIRA, etc)
- strong interest in public health and commitment to quality health sector services delivery
Other features of the role:
- St Leonards location, accessible by public transport
- Friendly, relaxed workplace culture in an NGO that values work-life balance and diversity
- Standard 37.5 hour week (office hours of 8.30-5pm) with genuine opportunities for flexibility if needed
- Some evening/weekend work and regional (intrastate) travel required, with time in lieu available to offset weekend commitments
To be considered, you will need to submit a current resume and a cover letter addressing how you can meet the requirements of the role, including any desirable criteria listed.
Due to the number of anticipated applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No recruitment agencies please. For enquiries please contact Anita Fletcher, HR Advisor on 9902 8151 or via email@example.com