Based at Computershare’s global head office in Abbotsford, we have an exciting permanent full-time opportunity for an enthusiastic, collegiate and commercially focussed Legal Counsel to join our close-knit Legal and Compliance team.
The Legal and Compliance team is responsible for providing legal advice to the business, negotiating commercial arrangements, managing disputes and ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations, business rules, contracts, industry standards and internal policies.
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for providing legal advice and other such legal and compliance services to Computershare’s corporate and operational teams across its various businesses.
You will be a problem-solver with a proven ability to offer solutions to challenging legal issues whilst maintaining your focus on the commercial imperatives of the business. You have the confidence to work autonomously and provide independent legal advice but also the good judgment to escalate matters to senior members of your team, as appropriate. This role will provide exposure to each of Computershare’s businesses, within a dynamic environment, and the opportunity to advise on a wide range of legal issues as part of the commercial decision-making process.
You will be primarily responsible for:
- Preparing, amending and drafting commercial agreements between Computershare and its clients and suppliers and providing legal support in response to RFPs and client proposals.
- Assisting Computershare’s businesses to negotiate commercial agreements with their clients and suppliers, and responding to queries regarding interpretation of contractual terms and conditions.
- Providing day to day legal and compliance advice to Computershare’s businesses and identifying any legal or compliance issues associated with the implementation of new products and services.
- Monitoring legislative and regulatory changes that may impact Computershare’s businesses to determine whether any steps need to be undertaken to ensure compliance with such changes and, if so, facilitate the implementation of those steps.
- Preparing other legal documentation as required by the business, including drafting communications for the business.
- Identifying potential legal and compliance risks that may adversely affect any aspect of Computershare’s business and, where appropriate, facilitate new processes or procedures to mitigate those risks.
- Acting as a trusted advisor to the business on complex legal and compliance matters, including the Australian Financial Services Licences held by Computershare group companies and the application of AML rules and regulations to those entities;
- Assisting other members of the Legal & Compliance team with work overflow and to roll out training to the business on legal and compliance matters.
You will bring to the role:
- A qualification in law from a recognised tertiary institution
- A current practising certificate
- 3+ years post-qualification experience as a lawyer (in-house preferred)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong negotiation skills
- Strong research and analytical skills
- An ability to work autonomously and manage a challenging, high volume workload and appropriately prioritise tasks
- A proactive style and a confident approach to different stakeholders and business units
The following experience/qualifications will be highly regarded:
- Experience working in a similar role in a financial services organisation
- Experience in negotiating commercial contracts
Founded in 1978, Computershare is renowned for its expertise in high integrity data management, high volume transaction processing and reconciliations, payments and stakeholder engagement. Many of the world’s leading organisations use us to streamline and maximise the value of relationships with their investors, employees, creditors and customers.
Computershare is represented in all major financial markets and has over 16,000 employees worldwide.
For more information, visit www.computershare.com.
For further information on this role, please contact Shelley McFarlane on 03 9415 54144 . To apply, click on the apply button and follow the application process.
Computershare embraces diversity and encourages applications from people with disability. Candidates will have the opportunity to request support or reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process in order to demonstrate their ability to meet the inherent requirements of the job.
Computershare may conduct a criminal background check on applicants subject to current legislation.
| CERTAINTY | INGENUITY | ADVANTAGE |