About the role:
This is an exciting opportunity to progress your career and obtain valuable experience working as a Senior Police Lawyer within Victoria Police. Victoria Police’s Legal Services Department is enhancing its advocacy response in an effort to meet the expansion of court networks and jurisdictions across Victoria. In order to address repeat victimisation, recidivism and unique offending across diverse demographics, more specialist courts are opening.
Victoria Police is seeking to meet this demand with enthusiastic, skilled and dedicated advocates to prosecute a range of civil applications, primarily family violence intervention order applications. In addition to prosecuting a range of civil applications, you may also be required to case manage matters arising out of criminal prosecutions, and firearms applications.
As the successful applicant, you will need to demonstrate an ability to manage busy court lists and competing priorities effectively whilst coaching, mentoring and developing junior Lawyers.
The role offers an opportunity to tailor your skills to an array of matters that vary in complexity. You will be expected to perform caseload management and offer legal advice and information to a range of clients. You will also be required to develop and maintain collaborative relationships within the expansive Victoria Police workforce as well as working with external stakeholders across agencies as part of a broad network to ensure cooperative and proactive approaches to addressing community harm.
Whilst the role will be challenging and dynamic, it will present you with a rewarding experience and possibilities for future career progression.
As the successful applicant, you will be working within the Legal Services Department and will be responsible for the day to day management and support of the lawyers and legal support officers within the Prosecutions Unit in your designated work location.
Your duties will include:
- Appear in the Magistrates’ Court and the Children’s Court;
- Provide day to day management to lawyers and legal support officers within your unit;
- Ensure rostering of your team to ensure coverage in court;
- Develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders;
- Compile monthly reports as directed by officer in charge.
As the successful applicant, you will have:
- Admission to practice as an Australian Lawyer (Unrestricted Practising Certificate).
- High level understanding and experience as a court advocate.
- Ability to work in a team, in a developing and emerging work environment.
- High level of resilience and emotional intelligence.
- Experience in coaching, mentoring and developing junior Lawyers
Requirements and relevant information:
- One (1), full time, ongoing position available located at Moorabbin Prosecutions Unit
- This position may require you to work outside normal hours.
- Applicants must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or hold a valid work permit or visa.
- As a member of the Legal Services Department you will be located in our Moorabbin office for this particular advertised opportunity. However given occasional legal service demand issues you may be required at times to undertake varied work within the Department. This supports the Department’s commitment to a flexible and deployable legal workforce and professional development opportunities in a range of legal domains.
Your application must include:
- Completed application form - attached to the job advertisement.
Applications close midnight, Wednesday 29 May 2019 - No applications will be accepted via email.
For further information on this role please contact: Senior Sergeant Eugene Kontos on 03 9090 5851 or via email email@example.com
This recruitment process may be used to fill other vacancies at the same level that may arise in the short term.
If you have a disability/medical condition and require a copy of this advertisement and attached documentation in an accessible format or would like to discuss an access requirements/reasonable adjustment for the recruitment process, please contact VPS Recruitment via email VPSRECRUITMENT@police.vic.gov.au.
Victoria Police is a large organisation employing police, public servants and protective services officers. Victoria Police provides support to the community 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.
At Victoria Police our goal is for our workforce to reflect the diverse community we serve. We continually seek to attract and retain a diverse workforce which includes people of all genders, ages, religions, disability, sexual orientation, family and caring responsibilities and cultures including people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage.
Find out what it is like working as a Victorian Public Servant for Victoria Police: http://www.policecareer.vic.gov.au