Sue Kench is the Global Chief Executive and Co-Chairman China of King & Wood Mallesons, Asia’s
leading international law firm.
Sue took on the Global Chief Executive role in 2017 after leading the firm in Australia for four years as
Chief Executive Partner, Australia. Sue was the first woman in Australia to lead a top tier law firm in
that role and is the first Australian female to lead a global law firm and a China firm.
Sue works closely with the Global Chairman and the firm’s International Management Committee to
lead the firm’s international growth strategy. Sue is based in Hong Kong and spends significant time
in China and Australia.
She became a Partner of legacy Mallesons Stephen Jaques in 1996 and has held a number of board,
management and leadership positions in the firm over the past two decades.
Amongst her many professional achievements, Sue has received a number of accolades and
acknowledgements for her impact and influence on the legal profession in the Asia Pacific. These
• AFR Power List 2020 – Legal
• The Lawyers Weekly Lawyer of the 21st Century award recognising her significant
professional achievements between 2000 and 2020 (2020);
• Doctor of Letters honoris causa from Macquarie University in recognition of her extraordinary
contribution to the law (2019);
• The esteemed ‘Legal leader’ award, at the Financial Times Innovative Lawyer Awards, in
recognition of her significant role in driving King & Wood Mallesons growth and success
across APAC (2018);
• The Australian Financial Review’s Top 100 Women of Influence (2018);
• The Lawyers Weekly Executive of the Year award (2017).
Sue is on the Board of Directors of AUSTCHAM Beijing and is a member of The Wall Street Journal
CEO Council, Chief Executive Women and the Business Council of Australia.