Grant Dixon, Managing Director of Gadens lawyers, has denied a weekend newspaper report alleging the firm was preparing to launch a class action relating to the Victorian bushfires.
"There is no story to tell: the article regarding us is false, misleading and without any factual foundation," he told Lawyers Weekly.
"The Age didn't seek any verification from us, and we are working with them to find out how this came about."
The report, published on 14 February, also stated that a writ had been issued on Friday 13 February, but the official media spokesperson for the Supreme Court said no writ had been issued as of midday Monday 16 February.
Speculation about potential class actions in the wake of the Victorian Bushfires has been rife, and stepped up a notch over the weekend with the The Age newspaper reporting that Slidders Lawyers, Gadens and potentially Slater & Gordon would be involved in separate class actions against the electricity company SP AusNet.
A spokesperson for Slidders Lawyers said the firm could neither confirm nor deny the report because the partner involved was on annual leave for the week commencing February 16.
A Slater & Gordon spokesperson was not available for comment at the time of publication.
- Laura MacIntyre