Arnold Bloch Leibler partner Leon Zwier has told the Victorian Supreme Court this afternoon (22 July) that the Melbourne Storm would not be pursuing legal action against the NRL.
Zwier and ABL senior litigation counsel Robert Heathcote were acting for the recently appointed directors of the storm. Zwier's announcement comes after the interim board said on Monday that Melbourne lawyer Howard Obst, a former partner with Minter Ellison and Tress Cocks & Maddox, would conduct a review of the beleaguered club's legal battle against the NRL.
Obst, Zwier and Heathcote have all declined to speak with Lawyers Weekly when contacted about this story previously.
On 22 April, NRL chief executive David Gallop announced that the Storm had been stripped of two NRL premierships it had won in 2007 and 2009. It was found that the Storm had breached the salary cap by around $1.7 million at that time.
A further audit of the Storm's books by the accountancy firm Deloitte found that the Storm had breached the salary cap by over $3 million since 2006.