Here are some tips to help you prepare an effective resume:
Your resume needs to include the following:
- Personal details
- Tertiary qualifications
- Employment history. All previous work experience should be listed, including title held and dates in each role
- List the responsibilities you held in each role as well as the key skills required
- Pro bono or community services involvement
- Key achievements/prizes
- Languages. Include level of fluency
- Personal interests
Some people also like to include an introductory paragraph at the beginning of their resume, providing an overview of their skills and background.
There is no fixed rule on length, but as a guide, a junior lawyer's resume is about 2-3 pages long while a senior lawyer's is about 4-5 pages.
- Nicola Phillips, senior consultant at Mahlab Recruitment (Vic)