find the latest legal job
Corporate Counsel and Company Secretary
Category: Generalists - In House | Location: Newcastle, Maitland & Hunter NSW
· Highly-respected, innovative and entrepreneurial Not-for-Profit · Competency based Board
View details
Chief Counsel and Company Secretary
Category: Generalists - In House | Location: Newcastle, Maitland & Hunter NSW
· Dynamic, high growth organisation · ASX listed market leader
View details
In-house Projects Lawyer | Renewables / Solar | 2-5 Years PQE
Category: Generalists - In House | Location: All Australia
· Help design the future · NASDAQ Listed
View details
Insurance Lawyer (3-5 PAE)
Category: Insurance and Superannuation Law | Location: Brisbane CBD & Inner Suburbs Brisbane QLD
· Dynamic organisation ·
View details
Legal Counsel
Category: Corporate and Commercial Law | Location: North Sydney NSW 2060
· 18 month fixed term contract · 3-5 years PQE with TMT exposure
View details
Law graduates to go bush in Queensland

Law graduates to go bush in Queensland

YOUNG LAWYERS are being lured back to the bush by a new program aimed at reversing a legal brain drain in the remote areas of Queensland.The Regional Solicitor Program makes rural and regional…

YOUNG LAWYERS are being lured back to the bush by a new program aimed at reversing a legal brain drain in the remote areas of Queensland.

The Regional Solicitor Program makes rural and regional locations a viable option for graduates and offers them competitive salary rates. According to Legal Aid Queensland CEO John Hodgins, the program offers graduates a starting wage of $40,000 a year.

“Like many other professional service providers in Queensland, we have found it difficult to attract staff to rural and regional areas,” Hodgins said. “When we found the number of legal professionals available to do legal aid work was on the decline we decided to do something about it and developed this program.”

The program matches law graduates with a regional private law firm. Legal Aid Queensland pays the graduate’s practical legal training course fee as well as 75 per cent of their wage, while the firm pays the remaining 25 per cent.

The graduate is required to handle the firm’s legal aid cases under the supervision of the firm.

One graduate who has taken part in the program, Sue Johnston, said she had no regrets about taking up a position in a small Charleville law firm over a Brisbane mega firm.

“A lot of my friends who are working in major law firms spent their first couple of months just reading and analysing files whereas on my first day I was interviewing a client,” she said.

Like this story? Read more:

QLS condemns actions of disgraced lawyer as ‘stain on the profession’

NSW proposes big justice reforms to target risk of reoffending

The legal budget breakdown 2017

Law graduates to go bush in Queensland
lawyersweekly logo
Promoted content
Recommended by Spike Native Network
more from lawyers weekly
LCA president Fiona McLeod SC
Aug 17 2017
Where social fault lines meet the justice gap in Aus
After just returning from a tour of the Northern Territory, LCA president Fiona McLeod SC speaks wit...
Marriage equality flag
Aug 17 2017
ALHR backs High Court challenge to marriage equality postal vote
Australian Lawyers for Human Rights (ALHR) has voiced its support for a constitutional challenge to ...
Give advice
Aug 17 2017
A-G issues advice on judiciary’s public presence
Commonwealth Attorney-General George Brandis QC has offered his advice on the public presence of jud...
APPOINTMENTS
Allens managing partner Richard Spurio, image courtesy Allens' website
Jun 21 2017
Promo season at Allens
A group of lawyers at Allens have received promotions across its PNG and Australian offices. ...
May 11 2017
Partner exits for in-house role
A Victorian lawyer has left the partnership of a national firm to start a new gig with state governm...
Esteban Gomez
May 11 2017
National firm recruits ‘major asset’
A national law firm has announced it has appointed a new corporate partner who brings over 15 years'...
opinion
Nicole Rich
May 16 2017
Access to justice for young transgender Australians
Reform is looming for the process that young transgender Australians and their families must current...
Geoff Roberson
May 11 2017
The lighter side of the law: when law and comedy collide
On the face of it, there doesn’t seem to be much that is amusing about the law, writes Geoff Rober...
Help
May 10 2017
Advocate’s immunity – without fear or without favour but not both
On 29 March 2017, the High Court handed down its decision in David Kendirjian v Eugene Lepore & ...