Fijian PPP project sees major investment

By Emma Ryan|24 January 2019

Four Aussie-headquartered Ashurst staff have advised the Fiji National Provident Fund on its majority investment in the Lautoka & Ba Hospitals PPP project in Fiji.

Firm: Ashurst (Fiji National Provident Fund)

Deal: Fiji National Provident Fund (FNPF) has been advised on its majority investment in the Lautoka & Ba Hospitals PPP Project in Fiji.

Value: Undisclosed

Area: Projects

Key players: The Ashurst team was led by Melbourne-based projects partner Matt Bubb, assisted by Sydney-based senior consultant Wayne Cahill, Melbourne-based senior associate Peter Allen and Melbourne-based associate Sarah Antioch.

Deal significance: According to a statement from Ashurst, the PPP project requires the Project Company to equip, operate and maintain the Lautoka and Ba Hospitals, as well as to build a new wing at the Lautoka Hospital.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“International Finance Corporation was appointed transaction adviser by the government of Fiji, and ran a competitive tender process to identify an experienced hospital operator who would hold a 20 per cent interest in the project special purpose vehicle (FNPF holding the remaining 80 per cent),” the statement said.

“At the completion of the competitive tender process, the government of Fiji selected Australian company Aspen Medical Pty Ltd to be the operator of the project hospitals.”

Commenting further on the transaction, Ashurst lead partner Matt Bubb said: “We are delighted to have had the opportunity to work with the Fiji National Provident Fund team in relation to their investment in this ground breaking project, the first health PPP in the Fiji market”.

“With the current focus on the development of infrastructure in the Pacific Islands, we expect to see increasing use of PPP as a mechanism to deliver much needed investment in the region,” he said.

“This transaction continues our recent experience of working on ‘first to market’ PPP transactions in the Asia-Pacific region, including advising on the first road PPP in Bangladesh and the first proposed PPP in Papua New Guinea.”

Fijian PPP project sees major investment
Intro image
lawyersweekly logo
Big Law

latest

How corporate counsel can help achieve gender parity with barrister briefings

When and why in-house teams will directly brief barristers

What’s working with blockchain, and how can in-house teams better capitalise?

‘Having a life outside of work keeps me grounded’: Q&A with Elizabeth Duncan