You have 0 free articles left this month.
Advertisement
Big Law

‘Rude’ emails and ‘gross neglect’: What’s hot in law this week (25–29 Aug)

In the last week of winter, new research showed that Australia’s biggest law firms are facing growing competition for superiority, while the courts handed down numerous disciplinary findings. Here is your weekly round-up of the biggest stories for Australia’s legal profession.

August 30, 2025 By Lawyers Weekly
Share this article on:
expand image

For the week from 25 August to 29 August, these were the 10 most-read stories on Lawyers Weekly (in case you missed them):

1. ‘Rude’ emails have no place in family law, tribunal says

 
 

In defending himself against an allegation he sent an inappropriate and rude email to an opposing solicitor, a Queensland lawyer said it was not discourteous to respond “assertively” to an “arrogant bully”.

2. Disciplined solicitor says misconduct was ‘commendable’

A Queensland solicitor punished for representing a man just moments before she appeared as the defendant in her own criminal proceedings said the misconduct should have been seen as commendable.

3. ‘Not entertaining that’: Unexpected, confusing claims in Lehrmann appeal

On the second day of the appeal hearing, many parts of the submissions advanced on behalf of Bruce Lehrmann were met with either confusion or rejection by the full court bench.

4. Qld lawyer sanctioned over breach of undertaking

A former principal of a Queensland law firm has been found guilty of professional misconduct after failing to comply with an undertaking given to the Legal Services Commission.

5. Top-tier, ‘big 8’ firms being ‘outpaced’ by competitors

While the big eight law firms have long been the cornerstone of Australia’s legal industry, a new report has revealed they are now facing growing competition from other large law firms vying for the top spot.

6. Child sex offender allowed to work in firms, for barristers

An NSW law graduate convicted of online sexual offences against 10 children has been given approval to work with solicitors and barristers.

7. Perth solicitor to face strike-off for ‘gross neglect’

The Supreme Court will decide whether to strike off a practitioner who strung his client along for two years with lies he was attending hearings and by filing material that contained false representations.

8. ‘Stick it up your a--e’: Foul-mouthed lawyer recommended for strike-off

Controversial solicitor Nathan Andrew Buckley of “wet dildo” infamy could have his name struck off for a number of offensive social media posts, including a suggestion a judge ruled “no one has any rights” and comments that told users to “go f--k yourself”.

9. Lawyer wins right to retain over $91k in client funds

A dispute involving more than $91,000 in trust funds has concluded that a solicitor was entitled to retain the money under his general lien, despite repeated demands from his former client for its release.

10. Reprimand for NSW solicitor who borrowed funds from client

A reprimand and $10,000 fine have been handed to a Baulkham Hills solicitor who borrowed funds from a client.