find the latest legal job
Senior Associate - Competition, Policy & Regulatory
Category: Other | Location: Sydney CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs Sydney NSW
· Work with a well regarded Partner · Sydney CBD
View details
Commercial Litigation Senior Associate
Category: Litigation and Dispute Resolution | Location: Sydney CBD, Inner West & Eastern Suburbs Sydney NSW
· Lawyers Weekly Australia Partner of the Year 2016, Insolvency
View details
MULTIPLEX Regional Legal Counsel (Vic) | 7 to 10 years + PQE
Category: Generalists - In House | Location: Melbourne CBD & Inner Suburbs Melbourne VIC
· Career defining in-house role · Tier One international contractor
View details
Junior Lawyer - Personal Injury Law
Category: Personal Injury Law | Location: Parramatta & Western Suburbs Sydney NSW
· Highly specialized practice · Challenging role with great opportunities
View details
IR Advisor/Member Advocate
Category: Industrial Relations and Employment Law | Location: St Leonards NSW 2065
· Permanent (0.8-1.0 FTE) role in a developing team
View details
Ashurst and Bakers help close property deal

Ashurst and Bakers help close property deal

Employees Provident Fund (Malaysia) and Goodman Industrial Funds have invested in a $400 million dollar property portfolio in Victoria and NSW.

Firms: Ashurst (Employees Provident Fund Malaysia), Baker & McKenzie (Goodman Industrial Funds Management Limited), Freehills (vendors)

Deal: Employees Provident Fund (Malaysia) (EPF) and Goodman Industrial Funds’ combined investment in a property portfolio

Area: Corporate/Property

Value: $400 million

Key players: The Bakers team was led by partners David Jones and Rodney Stone who were assisted by Rahul Parrab, Justin Gross and Belinda Barnes. Corporate partner Michael Ryland led for Ashurst, working alongside tax partner Vivian Chang and property partner Cameron Thompson

Deal significance: EPF has completed an initial investment in a newly-formed industrial property fund.  EPF has a 60 per cent interest in the fund, with GFML holding the remaining 40 per cent. Goodman Property Services (Aust) Pty Limited has been appointed as investment and property manager to the fund. At this stage, the fund comprises six industrial assets located in New South Wales and Victoria. Lead Ashurst partner Michael Ryland said: “This is a landmark property fund transaction for the region.”

Jones said it was always an exciting challenge to advise in the building stages of strategic relationships such as that which Goodman and EPF have announced, particularly where the parties have "such prominence in their own right, and are each looking to bring their unique talents, resources, cultures and experiences to a common cause".

"The continued interest in Australia by Asian investors, with EPF's investment another step in the growing wave of capital moving here from Malaysia," said Jones.

Like this story? Read more:

QLS condemns actions of disgraced lawyer as ‘stain on the profession’

NSW proposes big justice reforms to target risk of reoffending

The legal budget breakdown 2017

Ashurst and Bakers help close property deal
lawyersweekly logo
Promoted content
Recommended by Spike Native Network
more from lawyers weekly
Human body, illegal organ trafficking, ALHR
Australia poised to combat illegal organ harvesting: ALHR
The Australian Lawyers for Human Rights are calling for changes to the law so that organ trafficking...
Online service, barristers, BarristerSELECT, Stephen Foley
New online service leverages barristers’ clerks to aid briefing
A new online tool has been launched to help NSW solicitors find the most suitable barristers for the...
NSW District Court judge, Tim Gartelmann SC, next appointment,
Silk replaces outgoing NSW District Court judge
A barrister has been named as the next appointment to the NSW District Court, following the retireme...
Allens managing partner Richard Spurio, image courtesy Allens' website
Jun 21 2017
Promo season at Allens
A group of lawyers at Allens have received promotions across its PNG and Australian offices. ...
May 11 2017
Partner exits for in-house role
A Victorian lawyer has left the partnership of a national firm to start a new gig with state governm...
Esteban Gomez
May 11 2017
National firm recruits ‘major asset’
A national law firm has announced it has appointed a new corporate partner who brings over 15 years'...
Nicole Rich
May 16 2017
Access to justice for young transgender Australians
Reform is looming for the process that young transgender Australians and their families must current...
Geoff Roberson
May 11 2017
The lighter side of the law: when law and comedy collide
On the face of it, there doesn’t seem to be much that is amusing about the law, writes Geoff Rober...
May 10 2017
Advocate’s immunity – without fear or without favour but not both
On 29 March 2017, the High Court handed down its decision in David Kendirjian v Eugene Lepore & ...