The Law Society of NSW has a number of programs and services in place to assist sole practitioners:
- Compliance Analysis Review program: A free and confidential review of a firm's management systems and compliance strategies is undertaken, based on recommended strategies for compliance with a broad range of regulatory and business obligations. It covers such issues as communication, trust account management systems, strategies to avoid delay, anti-money laundering compliance, conflict of interest, confidentiality, staffing and life/work balance.
- Ethics Assistance: The Ethics Unit provides specialist information on legal ethical issues, with many calls coming from sole practitioners. Issues covered include potential conflicts of interest, confidentiality, file ownership and transfer of documents, undertakings given by practitioners, advertising and conduct rules.
- Locum Service: This service connects firms seeking short-term or fixed-term assistance with experienced substitute solicitors.
- Lawyers Assistance Program: A confidential, free counselling service for solicitors suffering from stress, depression or personal difficulties.
- Precedents: A comprehensive range of precedents are available with discounts offered to sole practitioner and small law firms.
Related article: Flying Solo - The growing world of the sole practitioner
Like this story? Read more: