Girl takes KFC to court for $10 million
An 11-year-old Sydney girl is at the centre of a lawsuit involving fast food chain KFC for just over $10 million.
Monika Sumaan arrived at the New South Wales Supreme Court yesterday morning in a wheechair. She acquired spastic quadriplegia and a profound intellectual disability after salmonella poisoning from a contaminated KFC product called a Twister.
The young girl ordered the product from the Villawood KFC outlet in Sydney's south west in October 2005. The next day she was unwell, as were her parents and brother after sharing the Twister with her, ABC News reports.
The family's lawyer, Anthony Bartley SC, told the court she had been a "bright and active young girl" before her illness. The court hear KFC had breached its duty of care as well as the Trade Practices Act.
A company review conducted last week gave the Villawood outlet a performance rating 41 per cent.