The Law Society of the ACT’s returning president Elizabeth Carroll has announced the new council for 2021-22, including a new vice-president.
The Law Society appointed eight new members and welcomed back another eight to oversee the council over the next 12 months. President Elizabeth Carroll said she was “incredibly pleased” that the new council is now made up of a 60/40 gender split, with women holding nine of the 16 positions.
The 2021-22 council includes members with experience across all sectors of its membership, from private practice in small, medium and large firms through to government, corporate in-house, and the community sector.
The newly elected members are:
- Vice president Susan Platis, ACT government solicitor and former councillor
- Councillor Georgia Briggs, Briggs Law
- Councillor Catherine Coles, Parker Coles Curtis
- Councillor Brice Hamack, ACT government solicitor
- Councillor Sarah Milson-Mahy, Women’s Legal Centre
- Councillor Lisa Quilty, King & Wood Mallesons
- Councillor Ian Temby, Clayton Utz
- Councillor Amanda Wescombe, lawyerbank
Its returning members are:
- President Elizabeth Carroll, IP Australia
- Vice president Farzana Choudhury, Canberra Community Law
- Treasurer Mark Tigwell, Bedfords Legal
- Secretary George Marques, HWL Ebsworth Lawyers
- Immediate past president Chris Donohue, Donohue & Co
- Councillor Veena Bedekar, Maddocks
- Councillor Tim Dingwall, Griffin Legal
- Councillor Gavin Lee, Arthur J Gallagher
Ms Carroll has thanked outgoing members of the council Sarah Avery, Rahul Bedi, Annie Haggar, Alan Hill, Kevin Robinson, David Swanson and Angus Tye.